Happy (almost) Friday. Since posting my picture of the Butternut Squash Lasagna I had a lot of requests for the recipe so here it is.
I’d love to know what all of you are experimenting with on your clean eating or Whole30 goals this month. I’m on a roll with trying new recipes and would love to test out some more and share them here on the blog for others to try.
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Original recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo. You can view it here.
- 2 medium or 1 large butternut squash (I bought the pre-cut)
- 1 pound lean ground beef or pork (I used 93 lean turkey)
- 36 oz canned tomato sauce (I used 1 – 24oz. jar that wasWhole30 approved)
- 4 oz tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (I used garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (I omitted)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt & pepper
- Coconut oil or fat of choice (I used coconut oil)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the diced onion in a spoonful of coconut oil, about 5 minutes. Add turkey, garlic and spices. Raise the heat to medium-high and saute until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Add the olives, tomato sauce and paste. Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer.
- Pour a little olive oil or coconut oil in the bottom of your baking dish. Add a thin layer of the meat/sauce mixture. Add the squash in a single layer and then add about 1/3 of the scrambled egg and smear it around.
- Add one more layer of meat and another layer of squash. I used a 9×9 pan and did 2 layers.
- Finish with a light layer of sauce.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let sit 5 minutes, slice and serve. ENJOY!
Oh and side note…it’s even better for lunch the next day!!
Let me know what you think of the deliciousness!!
What are you prepping this weekend?